Position: DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
Jaza is a solar energy start-up, working to power Sub-Saharan Africa, where there are over 600,000,000 people living without electricity.
company builds solar powered shops, called hubs, which are used to
charge batteries customers use to power their homes. A single hub serves
hundreds of households. The company employs women from each Jaza
community to run the service, empowering the Jaza team to become
leaders, entrepreneurs and drivers of economic growth within their
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
For more information on what we are building, check out www.jazaenergy.com
The Director of Engineering is responsible for all technical operations in Tanzania, with a focus on keeping our technology online and energized to maintain a reliable customer service. The Director of Engineering will support the Chief Technology Officer by owning the Hub commissioning and maintenance, rolling out new products and features, in-country supply chains, and technical data integrity. The Director of Engineering will manage the team of regional Solar Technicians (including Sr. Technicians) and Data Analysts. You will collaborate with the Director of Sales on ensuring Hubs stay online, with the Director of Operations to ensure Hubs get built, and with the Director of Marketing to ensure our products meet the needs of our customers.
The company is seeking a driven, detailed oriented, and highly accountable individual that can deliver results with integrity. Experience and a proven track record will help demonstrate your ability, but we are flexible on how you show us you’re up for the job. We want the best candidate and that may come from any background.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (2,316+ POSTS)
- Monitor the status across a fleet of 100+ energy systems and allocate resources efficiently to optimize customer service delivery
- Develop and implement strategies and policies to improve technical performance of all aspects of Hubs
- Develop weekly targets and work plans for regional technical teams and own the outcomes of those plans
- Recruit and develop technical talent in the organization
- Travel as needed to company regional offices
- Communicate and collaborate cross functionally to implement new products, features, and offerings
- Maintain and forecast inventory requirements for all company activities
- Analyze technical equipment and components for compatibility and effectiveness in the company’s technology stack
- Manage the execution of company data collection and oversee data compliance
- Develop specifications for new data systems
- Develop and communicate insights from company data
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional project management ability with experience leading a team, delegating responsibilities, communicating and influencing, and managing up.
- Demonstrated ability to operate with a high-degree of urgency, self-motivation, focus on goals, and commitment to high-quality high-integrity work
- Deep understanding and experience of solar energy and communication technologies
- Experience working with large data sets and generating actionable insights
- Experience working with hardware and software systems
- Entrepreneurial systems-thinker
- Ability to manage multiple, competing deadlines and to develop strategy based on data
- Ability to effectively deliver and receive both positive and constructive feedback
What Jaza Values
Jaza practices equal opportunity and believes that the company’s market should be reflected in the team.
Technology and renewable energy can bridge the gap between Jaza’s market and a more equitable future. The company exists to empower the 1.2 billion people living globally without electricity and is proving that viable businesses can be built serving an often overlooked market.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (2,316+ POSTS)
Here are some of the values Jaza practices:
Extreme Accountability - Owning the outcomes of your actions is one of the leading indicators of success. No excuses and no avoiding responsibility - Jaza looks for people that can take on the results of their actions, good or bad, and deal with the reality of their actions.
Growth Mindset - Do you want more for yourself? Do you focus on what you can fix vs. what is broken? Are you able to take tough feedback in order to level-up? If you want to see what you’re made of, and have high expectations for your future this is the job for you.
Clear Communicator - Can you explain complex systems clearly? Can you tailor a message for an audience? Jaza needs a strong writer and verbal communicator
Beginner's Mind - Are you capable of thinking outside of the box? Can you look at problems from multiple angles? Jaza believes in continuous improvement and is never afraid to go back to the basics in order to improve. With the right mindset, more can be done with less.
How to apply - please send a cover letter explaining why you’d like to work at Jaza plus an up-to-date CV to email@example.com