The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 16 countries and at over 5,000 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected.Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 3,100 —nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement prevention, care, and treatment; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide.
Job title: Director of Operation Reporting to: Country Director Dotted Line Manager: Regional Director of Operations Location: Dar es Salaam
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is seeking a Director of Operations to support the attainment of the Foundation’s overall goals by providing operational and administrative support to the Tanzania EGPAF program. Reporting to the Country Director, this position oversees the operations department, which is comprised of finance, contracts and grants, IT, human resources, finance and accounting, field operations and administration functions. The Director of Operations is an integral member of EGPAF Tanzania’s Senior Leadership Team (Tanzania SLT) and Senior Management Team (Tanzania SMT). S/he will be responsible for enabling a culture of excellence in all operations functions at EGPAF Tanzania. S/he will enhance the efficiency of the operations department by ensuring that optimal operations staffing, processes and infrastructure are in place. The Director of Operations will be responsible for identifying, mitigating and managing risks and enhancing cross-departmental collaborations (including with global office)
Accounting & Finance
- Oversees the budget development process and develops systems to ensure activities are implemented in line with approved budgets;
- Ensures that all uses of the Foundation’s funds are properly prepared, reviewed, approved, and documented, in line with all appropriate policies, procedures, authority levels, and local laws, and ensures that this information is properly entered into the accounting system;
- Oversees the month end accounting closing processes and coordinates the preparation of financial reports, analyzes and interprets financial data, and participates in strategic planning efforts.
- Serves as the country business official with key donors — and makes financial presentations with strategic stakeholders such as USAID, MOH, Other Implementing Partners, etc.
- Ensures that all required donor financial reports are completed and submitted on time Sub-Award Management
- Oversees the management of complex sub-recipients (local NGOs, CBOs, FBOs and INGOs and government entities)
- Oversees the implementation of the annual sub-recipient monitoring and support plans
- Implements systems to monitor the operational management, performance and compliance of these sub-recipients;
- Ensures all documentation regarding the management of these agreements is complete and well organized and liaises with the Washington DC office regarding all applicable agreement matters — including the closeout of these agreements.
- Ensures prompt escalation to the Country Director and Washington D.C Office on sub-recipient non-compliance e.g. on potentially disallowed costs, etc.
- Supports the project managers to develop procurement plans in line with approved budgets
- Oversees the execution of the procurement plans by the procurement department, ensuring that all procurements are in strict compliance with Foundation and Donor Policies
- Ensures all procurement activities are properly documented and all appropriate prior approvals are obtained;
- Ensures that sound inventory, fleet and property management procedures are in place and being adhered to at all times
- With the HR Manager, oversees the implementation of the performance management and compensation systems in coordination with International HR;
- Ensures the HR team has up-to-date employee contracts, personnel files, and all other applicable documentation for the HR function;
- Oversees the recruitment process, management of leave, staff development, and training, as well as the regular review of the country’s Staff Handbook, job descriptions, and the accurate and timely submission of all HR reports;
- With the senior management, implement and manage a team-building program for country staff, including formal training, personal and profession peer support, mentoring and professional development.
- Ensures an accurate and up-to-date Business Continuity Plan is in place, as well as on-boarding and exiting procedures for all staff;
- Oversees work visa application and renewal processes as applicable.
- Ensures all appropriate IT equipment and infrastructure is in place, well maintained, safeguarded, and properly functioning with minimal downtime,
- Ensures continuous training for staff on all IT-related systems, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures that the Foundation’s back up architecture is adequate and routinely tested
- Oversees the general maintenance, security, and use of the Foundation’s office premise(s), equipment, and supplies and ensures that appropriate procedures are in place for receiving visitors and external phone calls.
- Ensures that a “culture of compliance” is adopted in accordance to all Donor, Foundation, and In-Country policies and procedures (including all applicable local laws) by providing clear guidance to all staff, maintaining up-to-date knowledge of all applicable rules and regulations, and developing and monitoring systems to ensure all activities are implemented and documented in accordance with these policies.
- Takes the lead in preparing for and facilitating the auditing activities of the Foundation’s internal auditor, as well as any operational review on behalf of a donor, external auditor, or in-country governmental organization. This position proactively takes the lead in addressing any issues identified
- Protects the interests of the Foundation by ensuring full compliance with statutory requirements in all applicable areas, including health and safety laws, labor and immigration laws, tax laws and other country and local laws and regulations.
- Ensures appropriate registration and certification of the Foundation as required under the NGO act / company act and all other applicable statutory bodies e.g. social security
- Monitors all new and pending laws, regulations, codes of practice and court rulings that could have an impact on the Foundation’s operations, advises SMT accordingly, and proactively implements any necessary changes.
- Directs the preparation and submission of legal / statutory / taxation returns and other information required in compliance with legal requirements, including requirements under local tax laws.
- Serves as the primary contact with the Foundation’s legal advisors (attorney, labor lawyer, tax advisor etc.), and ensures the Foundation has ready access to, and established partnerships with, competent legal counsel always.
- Proactively notifies the SMT and relevant DC office department of legal risks or challenges such as lawsuits, engages legal advice where necessary, and works collaboratively to resolve such issues in the best interests of the Foundation. Where legal responsibilities are delegated to other staff, closely manages delegated tasks and ensures these are clearly defined and included in work-plans and job descriptions
- Ensures that Field Operations units are adequately supported, supervised and that compliance standards between the central office and field offices are maintained at the same level
- Spearheads the adoption of the project management initiatives including facilitating capacity building for operations managers on project management for development (PMDPRO) initiatives, customization and roll out of project management tools as RACI Matrix, GANTT Charts and other relevant project management resources
- Influences innovative approaches to Operations management in order to achieve organizational effectiveness. This entails promoting a culture of curiosity, facilitating channels for best practice identification and adoption from within and outside EGPAF, and making strategic decisions on where to allocate/prioritize scarce resources for maximum impact
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director Required Qualifications
- A Master’s degree in business Management, Operations or any other relevant field is required.
- Professional qualification in Finance or Accounting e.g. CPA, or ACCA is required and 5 years’ of post certification experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite is required
- Ten years’ experience in a Senior Level Finance or Accounting role
- Excellent knowledge of donor regulations including CDC/PEPFAR USAID, Global Fund and other major international donors with different reporting requirements and demands
- Experience managing complex USG projects with annual budgets exceeding USD 20 Million per year
- Demonstrated financial management experience including preparing, managing and monitoring budgets, contracts and negotiations.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise financial and administrative oversight of complex sub-grant programs.
- Proven leadership capabilities and solid experience managing, mentoring and developing staff.
- Experience in developing and managing the implementation of procurement and logistics policies and procedures.
- Solid experience managing operations teams in dispersed geographic settings
- Experience working and collaborating with HQ and Regional based support teams
- Proven excellent technical, analytical and diplomatic skills with clear experience in the provision of advice and support to local government e.g. MOH and other stakeholders, as well as to the Executive /Senior Leadership Team in large international organizations
- Working knowledge of project management principles and tools will be an added advantage
- Understanding of and experience in HIV/AIDS management is an added advantage
- Good understanding of and experience in the international development sector.
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks.
The Foundation expects all employees to possess the fundamental competencies of interpersonal skills, communication, accountability, continual learning, and driving results. The ideal candidate will be either proficient or advanced in the following set of competencies, specific to this position’s level of Director:
- Collaboration — Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
- Creativity/lnnovation — Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting edge programs/processes.
- Influencing/Negotiation — Persuades others; builds consensus through give and take; gains cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish goals.
- EGPAF is an equal opportunities employer and the position is open to all. Qualified candidates should submit a CV, cover letter and relevant certificates explaining how the experience detailed in the CV will contribute to the requirements of the position and references to EGPAF.
Senior Human Resource Manager,Closing date: March 30th 2020
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation,
P.O. BOX 1628,
395 Ursino Park, Mwai Kibaki Road, Morocco.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Or e-mail: email@example.com
The Elizabeth Glaser Paediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. EGPAF complies with all applicable laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Foundation works. EGPAF does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process. If you are asked to pay a fee at any stage of this recruitment, please report to firstname.lastname@example.org