Position: Chief Nutrition, (P-4), Dar es salaam, Tanzania #00007053
Job Number: 530550 | Vacancy Link
Job Number: 530550 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Africa: Tanzania,Uni.Re
Work Type : Fixed Term Appointment
Work Type : Fixed Term Appointment
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
And we never give up.
For every child, [Hope]
How can you make a difference?
1. Managerial Leadership
- Establish the annual work plan with the Nutrition team:set priorities/targets and performance measurement.Monitor work progress and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards.
- Establish clear individual performance objectives ,goals and timelines:and provide timely guidance to enable the team to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently.Plan and ensure timely performance management and assessment of the team
- Supervise team members by providing them with clear objectives,goals, direction and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly ,effectively and efficiently.
- Plan and provide technical guidance and operational support to the preparation ,design and updating of the situation analysis to ensure comprehensive and current data on maternal and child nutrition is available to guide policy development an design and management of nutrition programmes.
- Keep abreast development trends to enhance programme management,efficiency and delivery to achieve sustainable,effective and equitable maternal,newborn and child health and nutrition programmes results.
- Prepare, coordinate and supervise the formulation and design of nutrition programme/project recommendations and related documentations as a component of the Country programme,establish clear program goals,objectives,strategies and results base on result-based planing terminology and methodology(RBM)
- Evaluate the programme recommendation to ensure the alignment of Nutrition Programmes with the overall UNICEF Strategic Plan ,Country ProgramME ,the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF),regional strategies ,as well as national priorities ,plans and competencies .
- Consult and collaborate with colleagues and partners to provide technical and operational support on programme planning,management and implementation,to ensure integration coherence and harmonization of programmes/projects with UNICEF Strategic Plans:donors' development strategies and policies:country level national priorities and competencies and UN system development interventions and initiatives.
- Plan and collaborate with colleagues and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks,performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurements to assess and strengthen performance accountability ,coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results in nutrition.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises,program reviews, and annual health reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and determine required action /interventions to achieve results.
- Prepares/asses monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps/ strength and or weaknesses in program management ,identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programs/projects to assess progress ,identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and /or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Plan monitor and certify disbursements and control optimum/appropriate use of program resources(financial/administrative and other assets)confirming compliance with organizational rules,regulation/procedures,standards of accountability and integrity an donour commitments ,ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare mandate and key program /project reports for donors and other partners to keep them informed of program progress.
4. Advisory services and technical support
- Provide advice to key government officials,NGO partners,UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on policies,strategies best practices and approaches on health related issues to support program development planning,management implementation and delivery of results.
- Participate in program strategic discussions/planning to provide technical advice/contribute policy discussions and agenda setting to promote health/nutrition interventions especially in the areas of gender,emergency preparedness and maternal,newborn and child health nutrition.
- Prepare policy papers,briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives program development and contingency planning and /or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with health/nutrition sector government counterparts,national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking,advocacy and effective communication to build capacity,exchange knowledge /expertise and/or promote cooperation and alliances to achieve program goals on maternal /children rights and social justice/equity.
- Prepare communication and information materials to highlight program goals,achievements and/or needs to promote awareness,establish partnerships/alliances and support fund raising for nutrition programs(maternal,infant, and child survival and development)
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on nutritional -related issues to ensure organizationals position ,interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting.Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of nutrition programs/projects.
6.Innovation,knowledge management and capacity building.
- Promote critical thinking,innovative approaches and good practices for sustainable nutrition program/project initiatives through advocacy and technical advisory services.
- Keep abreast, research,benchmark,and implement best cutting edge practices in health management and information systems.Institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to development of policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize,plan and/or implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients and stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health/nutrition related programs/projects.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in one of the following fields is required:nutrition,public health,nutritional epidemiology,global/international health and nutrition ,health/nutrition research,policy and/or management,health sciences,nutritional epidemiology,or another health -related science field
- A minimum of eight years of relevant professional experience in a developing country in one more of the following areas is a required:nutrition,public health,nutrition planning and management,or maternal,infant and child health/nutrition care.
- Experience in health/nutrition program/project development and management in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are...
- Leading and supervising
- Formulating strategies and concepts
- Relating and networking
- Deciding and Initiating action
- Applying technical expertise
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Tue Mar 10 2020 09:00:00 GMT+0300 (East Africa Time) E. Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Tue Mar 24 2020 23:55:00 GMT+0300 (East Africa Time)