Position: Surveillance Specialist, Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance
Tracking Code 9696
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, finance, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales innovative solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.Recommended:
Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here!
Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance (IDDS) is a five-year USAID-funded project with the following overall objectives:
Improve the detection of diseases of public health importance and identification of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in priority infectious diseases through an accessible, accurate, adaptable, timely, and integrated diagnostic network system.
Improve the quality of real-time surveillance systems for pathogens of greatest public health concern, including AMR and zoonotic diseases, and;
Generate evidence-based guidance and innovative solutions to strengthen in-country diagnostic networks and surveillance systems.
PATH is seeking a Surveillance Specialist to be responsible for technical implementation of activities in Tanzania as well as support Health Information Systems (HIS) strengthening activities. This includes strengthening facility and laboratory information systems and supporting surveillance activities for AMR and priority diseases. This position reports to the Team lead for IDDS based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The incumbent will initially be based in Dar es Salaam with the likelihood to relocate to Dodoma later in the course of project implementation.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical assistance on surveillance activities focused on priority pathogens and AMR
- Support implementation of event- and indicator- based surveillance, and community-based surveillance for priority pathogens and AMR
- Collaborate with IDDS Health Informatics Lead to identify and document potential risks during the planning, design, review and implementation of Health Information Systems or any of their components.
- Support the development of governance structures that will build and maintain the key pillars for data interoperability such as data standardization and data sharing agreements.
- Support efforts to improve real-time data reporting, data sharing and interoperability between surveillance and laboratory systems.
- Assists in the integration of information systems including data management.
- Provide end user training and capacity building on surveillance and electronic reporting systems such as WHONET, DHIS2 and Labnet.
- A minimum of BSc in Computer Science, public health or related field.
- At least two years of experience in Health Informatics in Tanzania.
- Knowledge of disease surveillance and electronic data reporting systems.
- Technical competency in the use, setup and implementation of DHIS2, Interoperability Systems or Laboratory Information Systems.
- Knowledge of human or animal health surveillance systems in Tanzania.
- Demonstrated experience in working within a multi-disciplinary team in a fast paced, technically challenging environment.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strong interpersonal skills in facilitation and stakeholder engagement/coordination.
- Familiarity with USG programs.
- Experience working and residing in Tanzania.
- Familiarity with USG programs.
PATH is dedicated to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Job Location Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, United Republic of
Company Location Tanzania, Dar es Salaam
Position Type Full-Time/Regular