Applications are invited from qualified, energetic and proactive TPC Employees to fill vacant position in the Field Services Department.
POST: SENIOR AGRONOMIST (1 Post)
Reports to the Field Services Executive Officer
Core Job Description:
- Working with the Assistant Agronomist in the daily administrative issues of the section
- Supporting the Assistant Agronomist in planning, organizing and implementing trials related to sugar cane agronomy.
- Planning, budgeting and supervising the Agronomy service resources efficiently.
- Being responsible of the daily activities under the crop agronomy sub section.
- Initiating and managing all the trials under crop agronomy that include data collection, analysis and report writing.
- Providing the field department personnel with technical expertise in agronomy, advise and support through active participation in meetings, work related discussions and written communications
- Devising new trials concerning new varieties and follow up their performances in the field.
- Managing the seed cane production activities (multiplication plots, Hot Water Treatment and nursery).
- Contributing in the elaboration of the harvesting and replanting program, including varietal recommendations.
- Monitoring and reporting upon general crop and varietal performance.
- Regularly assess the pests and diseases situation on the estate.
- Collaborating with SRI in collection of data regarding pests and disease research on the estate.
- Contributing towards white grub trials and control measures.
- Maintaining the meteorological station to ensure that data of high quality are collected.
- Monitoring, validating and archive meteorological record.
- Assisting the Assistant Agronomist in planning and supervising the sugarcane ripening application and follow up analysis of treated v/s non treated cane.
- Contributing in the elaboration of a weed control program and give recommendations concerning herbicides use.
- Preparing a weekly program of work for the crop agronomy section with the help of the Assistant Agronomist.
- Collecting, producing, disseminating and archive relevant agronomic data and reports.
- Preparing a monthly progress report of the crop agronomy on salient activities and harvested trials.
- Statistically analyze all harvested trials and to report on them in a well-defined scientific format.
- Assisting the Assistant Agronomist in preparing annual current and capital budgets for the crop agronomy.
- Perform any related duty as may be assigned by the Head of Department.
Should prove ability to demonstrate his/her capacity to work without constraint in a scientific environment (i.e. show that he/she is familiar with Laboratory equipment and field experimentation) and also the ability to work under minimum supervision. He or she should be fluent in English and Kiswahili. Should have an experience in research e.g. data collection, analysis and report writing. He or she will need to show strong interpersonal skills and customer oriented approach i.e. his or her ability to interact and to work effectively with both team members and superiors.
Bachelor Degree in Agronomy from a recognized University. Very good computer knowledge in Excel, Word, Power point, Statistical packages (SPSS etc…) is a must. He must hold a valid driving license. Knowledge in sugar cane will be an added advantage.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Candidates meeting the requisite qualifications should submit their written applications and detailed CV to the address below, describing how they see themselves qualifying for this position. They should also send copies of academic certificates, three references, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses. The closing deadline for all applications is 14 days after the advert.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Human Resources Executive Officer,
P. O. Box 93, Moshi, Kilimanjaro
Tel: +255272754389, FAX: +255272754391